Thank you Jay and Keith for your replies.  I've upgraded to version 1.4.1 but
this had made no difference.  Below is a really simple version of my code
taking the options used by Jay in his working service but I can still only
get the correct response using getGigsIn() with POST, every other
combination else fails with:
<soapenv:Reason xmlns:soapenv="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope";>
        <soapenv:Text xml:lang="en-US">The endpoint reference (EPR) for the
Operation not found is /NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService and
the WSA Action = null</soapenv:Text></soapenv:Reason>"

SimpleREST.java:
String epr =
"http://localhost:8089/NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService";;
NicksGigsServiceStub portal = new NicksGigsServiceStub(epr);
Options options = portal._getServiceClient().getOptions();
options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.ENABLE_REST, Boolean.TRUE);
options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.HTTP_METHOD,
Constants.Configuration.HTTP_METHOD_POST);
options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.MESSAGE_TYPE,
//org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPConstants.MEDIA_TYPE_X_WWW_FORM);
//options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.DISABLE_SOAP_ACTION,
Constants.VALUE_TRUE);
options.setCallTransportCleanup(true);
options.setTransportInProtocol(Constants.TRANSPORT_HTTP);
portal._getServiceClient().setOptions(options);
Gig[] results = portal.getGigsIn("London");
for (int j = 0; j < results.length; j++)
        System.out.println(results[j].getToString());

Note that I had to comment out the MESSAGE_TYPE property for this to work. I
have also commented out the SOAP_ACTION property here since although it did
remove the action(s) in the header it didn't make any difference to the end
result.

The thing which strikes me most about this is that whether using GET or POST
the bindings do not append the method names to the endpoint like I would
expect them to.  I wrongly assumed that at some point the axis generated
code would do something like endpoint+"/"+methodName but it doesn't seem
to...  Is this correct behaviour?

I took a look at the blog entry and after a closer look at my WSDL it seems
that the one generated at
...NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService?wsdl has the correct
parameter names, but the wsdl generated by the maven java2wsdl plugin and
then subsequently used by wsdl2java to create my stub has the param0, param1
names. Maven automatically compiles with debug on and I've made no changes
to this so I am a bit confused why I'm getting this. Even more so by the
fact that if I create unwrapped bindings then the correct parameter names
are used.

Thanks
Nick