The Oasis 1.0 specification states:
All compliant implementations MUST declare which profiles they support and
MUST be able to
process a <wsse:Security> element including any sub-elements which may be
defined by that profile.

but it then says:
When a <wsse:Security> header includes a mustUnderstand="true" attribute:...

The first would make me think that you HAD to have mustUnderstand="true" in
the Security header.  The latter would make me think that it's optional...