My client code is running in a Mozilla browser and
doesn't touch the Axis environment except as a vanilla
web service.  So touching the stub doesn't help me.

On the server side my class is, in theory, axis unaware
or web-server-container neutral.  So my assumption is that
the PROP_DOMULTIREF property needs to be set in the
server side setup in the wsdd file, but I'm not seeing
anything in doc that would indicate how to do this.
(may not be reading it right).

Since it's the bean serializer mechanism that I want
to turn this property off in, I'ld expect to be able to
do something like ...
<beanMapping Qname="datamodelNS:SelectionNodeSet"
xmlns:datamodelNS="urn:ferrett"
doMultiRefs="false"
languageSpecificType="java:org.thedataweb.service.ferrett.datamodel.SelectionNodeSet"
/>

I'll try throwing in axis code server class side
(i.e. my FerrettService class that's providing the method
that's breaking because it's returning a bean that's being
href'ed) as you suggest and see what happens.  Though
curious what happens to the state of that property after
I toggle in a running instance.

Heitzso