Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> > Keep in mind that SOAP is not XML.
>
> Yes.
>
> It is an XML application. When you define
> > an XML application, it's perfectly legitimate to restrict
> certain contructs.
>
> No, it is an XML Infoset application. Big difference. XML 1.0 syntax
> is one possible serialization for SOAP messages.

Ah. Yes. I see the error of my ways now. Thank you.

> You're the second knowledgeable person I've seen recently make this
> conflation.
>
> And back to the point. Why are these processors named as though the
> process XML? They clearly process a subset (SOAP) and are thus not
> compliant XML processors. I don't care so much that they only work
> with SOAP; that's fine. I do care that they muddy the waters between
> SOAP and XML 1.0 processors, that's not fine.
>
> Bill de hÓra

Definitely valid points. I view pull parsing as application-specific
processing technique. As far as I know, there's no reason why you couldn't
implement a fully compliant XML processor that uses the pull parsing
technique. (Dennis, please correct me if I'm wrong.) It's just that XPP
hasn't done that.

As you say, pull parsing is a very efficient technique for processing SOAP
messages.

Anne