1. If you use the "wrapped" convention, the Axis will automatically marshal the method parameters for you. In the wrapped still you must define a wrapper element for your input message. The name of the input message must be the same as the operation name. The wrapper element must be structured as a sequence; each parameter defined as a child element. If you don't use the wrapped convention, then Axis will marshal the message into an object.

Axis doesn't perform automatic validation of the message. If you want to perform validation , then you can add a handler in your handler chain to do it. The marshalling is done based on the WSDL, so if the message isn't valid, you're likely to receive a serialization exception.

2. Typically header blocks are intended for handlers rather than the service implementation.

Anne