Hi Om -
The Axis users guide is a good place to start for learning more about handlers.

A search for 'axis.handlers' in the /test and /samples codebase yields a significant
number of examples.   Of particular note may be /test/session/TestSimpleSession and
/samples/stock/ and /samples/userguide/example4

To obtain a specific header, use the following code where HEADER_NS is the namespace
of the target element and HEADER_REQNAME is the element name:
    public static final String HEADER_NS = "http://soapinterop.org/echoheader/";;
    public static final String HEADER_REQNAME = "echoMeStringRequest";

            Message msg = context.getResponseMessage();
// or             Message msg = context.getRequestMessage();

            SOAPEnvelope env = msg.getSOAPEnvelope();
            SOAPHeaderElement header = env.getHeaderByName(HEADER_NS,
                                                           HEADER_REQNAME);

cheers,

/Chris
The O'Reilly "Programming Apache Axis" book has an entire chapter dedicated to
handlers......
http://cvs.apache.org/~haddadc