--On Saturday, July 19, 2003 1:34 AM +0100 Peter Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Back to square one which I originally posted about weeks ago.
libiconv is obviously too broken in RH9 to be usable.

David, how did you overcome this lot?

I thought I had solved it by not using libiconv.

If I recall correctly, AxKit's inability to find iconv features in glibc is a symptom of the locale=UTF8 problem. Once you fix that, AxKit can find what it needs just fine. Unfortunately if you've already installed libiconv, AxKit will detect it first and use it.

But on double checking my machine, running 'ldd /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Apache/AxKit/Ch
arsetConv/CharsetConv.so' shows that it is in fact linked against libiconv. Which means that I installed libiconv and it worked, I guess. So I guess this is a case of 'works for me'.

I can only guess that you're still suffering problems from the multiple failed attempts to get the various pieces working right.

If you're willing to do a fresh redhat 9 install on your machine, I'm willing to wipe my laptop and rebuild axkit from scratch, documenting every step I take. It should be pretty close to the steps I posted before, which is much less complex then the instructions that got put in the AxKit documentation wiki. I'd hate to have you give up on AxKit in frustration. I'm finding it a wonderfully useful tool. But AxKit on RH9 is indeed a pain in the ass to set up.

-David Nolan Network Software Developer Computing Services Carnegie Mellon University