Ok, this could be wrong, but it should get you thinking.  :)

I believe that how you have AxKit set as a handler is important.

I think AxKit advises you to set it as a handler for all things, and it will decline to handle stuff it's not configured to recognize through AxKit directives.

So, i think what's happening is:

AxKit sees /news/submit, and passes on it.
mod_rewrite sees /new/submit and rewrites it.
AxKit already declined, so apache chooses another handler. the default.

so various trickery can get around this but it's subtle.
I suggest reading up on the apache phases. and figuring what axkit is doing in each one.

I ended up writing a PerlTypeHandler in which I changed the uri and declined the request,
for that uri space though I had to SetHandler to perl, PerlHandler AxKit and PerlTypeHandler to my
special uri translating module.

hope that gives you a direction to look.

sorry i don't recall immediately the correct magick.

--fess