Hi Everyone

I have a question for the group to see if a certain scenario is
plausible.......

A child is born around 1894 in Santa Ana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He
is not baptized at that time, but only after the family returns to
Terceira about 9 months after his birth. I always thought that
baptisms were usually done fairly soon after a child's birth. Do you
think it s possible that a family, maybe knowing they planned to
return to their homeland of Terceira, would wait and NOT baptize the
child until they did return to Terceira?

This person is my husband's grandfather. He was born Joao Cardozo
Esteves, according to his Naturalization and Alien Registration
papers. I have searched for his baptism for years in the microfilmed
records of Rio, but have not found him. A baptism back in Terceira
could explain not finding any records in Rio. Of course, it could just
mean I haven't found the right location yet.  :) He left Angra,
Terceira in 1914 and immigrated into Boston, settling in Alameda
County, CA under the name of John Cardoza.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd sure appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.
Kathy

  Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
       http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html