Kathy, was John Cardoza from Pinole, Calif.?

Al Goularte

--- On Mon, 10/6/08, Kathy Cardoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Kathy Cardoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Baptism time lapse question
To: Azores@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, October 6, 2008, 6:43 PM

Hi Everyone

I have a question for the group to see if a certain scenario is plausible.......

A child is born around 1894 in Santa Ana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He is not
baptized at that time, but only after the family returns to Terceira about 9
months after his birth. I always thought that baptisms were usually done fairly
soon after a child's birth. Do you think it s possible that a family, maybe
knowing they planned to return to their homeland of Terceira, would wait and
NOT baptize the child until they did return to Terceira?

This person is my husband's grandfather. He was born Joao Cardozo Esteves,
according to his Naturalization and Alien Registration papers. I have searched
for his baptism for years in the microfilmed records of Rio, but have not found
him. A baptism back in Terceira could explain not finding any records in Rio.
Of course, it could just mean I haven't found the right location yet.  :) He
left Angra, Terceira in 1914 and immigrated into Boston, settling in Alameda
County, CA under the name of John Cardoza.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd sure appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.
Kathy

 Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
      http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html