Hello group,

I have many relatives from Brazil in my files and have found that often times
they did not get formally baptized until a much later time after their birth.
Since there were many in the early days in my file who had been Baptized later
and even some who it appears may have only received this sacrament before
marriage. My assumption then is that because of travel restrictions and the
vast distances that had to be covered in a newly settled land, along with the
lack of a priest being available should be taken into consideration. Some of my
Brazilian relatives were baptized a few years later. This doesn’t mean they
were not Baptized. Often times in the early days the child was immediately
baptized by a family member upon delivery, then as a priest became available
the child would receive the sacrament formally in the eyes of the church. When
I was in Catholic school we were taught that any one could baptize a child if
there was a concern for the child’s well being. Then later the child could be
re- baptized properly by a priest. I hope this helps.

Emil

---- celeste perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
In Catholic school I learned that a child cannot enter heaven if he/she dies
without being baptized.  The child will go to limbo and never see the face of
god.

I can't think of a parent in that time frame not baptizing the child and
especially if they were to travel across the ocean with the child.  It does not
seem, to me, that parents took the chance with their children not getting into
heaven.  Many children died in those days and even if a child was born at home
and it was not thought the child would live, they were baptized by a lay person
(if a priest was not close by).

Celeste, Hayward, CA

--- On Mon, 10/6/08, Kathy Cardoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hi Everyone

I have a question for the group to see if a certain scenario is plausible.......

A child is born around 1894 in Santa Ana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He is not
baptized at that time, but only after the family returns to Terceira about 9
months after his birth. I always thought that baptisms were usually done fairly
soon after a child's birth......

--
Emil Silveira

Researching:
AREAS;     Faial, Pico, Sao Jorge, Terceira, Brazil, and Prince Edward Island,
Canada
SURNAMES: Silveira, Dutra, Avila, Moitoso, Medeiros, Rodrigues, Fialho,
Goulart, Silva, Evangelho, Enes, Machado, Correia, Homem, and McLeod to name a
few.