In a message dated 4/10/2009 8:01:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gfsche...@gmail.com writes:
> Lexi/Marilyn,
>
> That's what George said...the men's entrance was because of the liquor.
>
> You never know with pictures.  I had one that I took around for a few
> years.  I was helping a man at my FHC in Los Angeles on his Portuguese lines.
>
> We never found a connection (yet).  He asked me to come over around
> Christmas and meet his parents from RI.  I came with old photos.  His father
> identified some of the people in the photo!
My guess is that like so many of these little village establishments, this
was a combination general store/tavern "tasca" or "taberna". In those days
women NEVER went inside a tasca. It was strictly a place for men. A woman
might stand at the entrance and call to husband inside to come home (before he
got too drunk!), but going inside was not OK if she valued her reputation.
The idea of a woman standing at the bat downing cachaças with the best of
them was a scandal. These general stores-taverns were generally 2 room affairs,
one for the store and the other for the tavern. There was a connecting door
so that the owner could go from one room to the other and tend to business
single handed on both sides.

In case you find this arrangement strange, here in New England (Billy's
Café on Bedford Street in Fall River comes to mind) always had a "Lady's
Entrance" The front of the bar was exactly that: a bar with stools, some
tables, a
TV, a pool table, etc. It was just for the guys. The Lady's Entrance
brought you to the back room, a "lounge" with booths. Billy's is still there,
and
still has the back entrance, now called a "Family Entrance" for those who
are there for a meal in the lounge and not just a few frosties in the front.
By the way, Billy's still serves the best chouriço plate this side of the
Mississippi. A Happy Easter to all!

John