Hi Jesse,

I just went to a map of Sao Miguel and was reminded that Nordeste is
almost on the other end of the island from Ponta Delgada  (Sao
Roque).    So, your Joao PACHECO and my husband's Joao PACHECO were
probably not directly related.    However, I have been curious whether
families moved from one part of the island to another, and was it
fairly easy to do that by boat?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1T4HPIA_enUS308US308&q=%22Azores+map+Sao+Miguel%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=qGE3SpL1Goi_twex-uzfDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Betty         (near Lowell, MA, USA)

(Antonio PACHECO came to MA / US ~1905.   Unfortunately, there seems
to have been a dozen of them coming to the US around the same time.)