Kathy

The information Shirley has below fits with the list of passports for that time
period.

I have from the passports:

Joao de Sousa Pragana 30, single, laborer (camponeo) son of Joao de Sousa
Pragana and Francisca Margarida, from Prazeres (that would be Pico da Pedra),
Ribeira Grande.

Passport issued 11 May 1881, #629

Leaving under contract (well, sort of), to the Sandwich Islands, on the English
ship Suffolk.

Hope that helps.

Hermano