________________________________
De: Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com>
Para: azores@googlegroups.com
Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 26 de Fevereiro de 2010 20:23:55
Assunto: Re: Res: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: "de" or "da"

As a kid, I was told something about De vs de being royalty.  That's not the
way Portuguese grammar works.

"de" basically means "of."
"da" would be the equivalent of the English contraction "of the" (with the next
word ending in "a" signifying feminine). "da musica" (of the music - music ends
in "a" so you use da).
"do" would be the equivalent of the English contraction "of the" (with the next
word ending in "o" signifying masculine). "do carro" (of the car - car ends in
"o" so you use do).

d' is one of those things where you put the apostrophe when you're missing a
letter.  In English, that would be in words such as "don't."  The d' in
Portuguese is either de da or do, depending on the next word.

"di" I think is Italian.  I've had a couple of Italian kids in my class and I
seem to remember their names being Di Whatever.

de, da, do in Portuguese isn't capitalized.  We don't capitalize prepositions
in English and they don't seem to do it in Portuguese.  However, when someone
who is not born in the U.S. (and possibly Canada) comes into the new country
and says that their last name is "da Costa" the person (who was schooled
English to capital last names) writes Da Costa because they were taught to
capitalize last names.

I don't have my Portuguese grammar books handy, so I'm remembering this off the
top of my head.  The native speakers will be able to correct what I'm not
remembering correctly.

Achada

              • ... George Pacheco
              • ... Thomas da/de Costa Vasconcelos Rodrigues Gouveia Oliveira Cabral
              • ... nancy jean baptiste
              • ... Sam Koester
              • ... nancy jean baptiste
              • ... Sam Koester