Atina,
   I hope this helps you.  Finding people and dates in Portugal and the Azores
has, for me, been a wild ride.  I will give you an example that, I hope, helps
you get beyond thinking you KNOW anything about ancestors.
   I was raised in my maternal grandparents' house.  They were immigrants, he
from the continent of Portugal, she from Terceira.  I KNEW where they were
born.  I had heard the name of the places and the dates since I could
understand what they were saying.
   My grandfather was born in Ligares, Tras-os-Montes, in northern Portugal on
the "day after Christmas" and he was __ (fill in the blank for his age).  We
always celebrated his birthday on December 26th, the "day after christmas."
     In 1989, I went to Ligares, did not find the records there; went to Freixo
Espida a Cinta (sp?), the "County," did not find the record there and ended in
Braganca, the district.  Records are kept in these various places depending on
how long ago they were made.
   The point of this is that my grandfather was born on January 7, 1876,
according to his baptismal record.  This date made no sense to me because the
day after christmas is December 26th if you live in the US.  In Portugal, at
that time, Natal/christmas, was celebrated the day the three kings visited the
Christ child.
   Here, in the US, grandpa's information was translated to what we knew and
not what was the norm in Portugal at the time of his birth.
   Hope this helps you look in more places when you reach a brick wall and
gives you a different understanding of time frames when looking for records.
Celeste, Hayward, CA

Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com