Original baptismal register books for São Miguel up to 1911 are housed
in the Regional Archives at the Ponta Delgada Public Library.  From
personal experience last fall I know for a fact that there are at
least a few Library staffers who speak fairly fluent English, if
that's an issue for you -- I feel much more secure in English, so can
empathize if that's your situation, too :-)

Your quest may be even easier than that.  If you'd like to get started
before you depart on your trip, see if scans of the register books you
seek are online, because a lot of 19th-century records already are.
Homepage for records is: http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/ig (click on
São Miguel on map)

Best of luck, and please let us know if you make any discoveries.
Katharine.