Actually Herb, these names are well documented, particulary in
Nordeste. It is a bit of work to find out which line is actually
yours, but nevertheless, much of it is already documented. I would say
the hardest period is between 1720 and 1700, because some families
appear to have gone missing,  particularly if they lived in
Nordestinho, Algarvia, Achada Feteira, around the 1750-1700 period.
Then things can be very difficult. Or their names have been altered to
the point where it is very difficult to determine which family line is
really yours. Then you have to slog through the baptisms and sometimes
piece together whole families.

But it is a journey worth taking.

John Roias