From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azo...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Herb
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:07 PM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: De Melo

Hello Altino

Like I said I left Fazenda do Nordeste when I was 9.  The house you are
reffering to is probbaly what we used to call the casa do trabalho or the
casa da liga. I think this is the one Cheri asked about.  It was located as
you entered Vila do Nordeste, that area as you entered the vila was called
"Erva do Mau" I believe.  My mom who is 82 and lives in Fall River,  said
that house was where the women would learn to work on tapestry. sewing,
needlework etc.  The lady who ran that house was Dona Maria do Carmo.  Is
this the house you are refering to?  As a kid I only went to Vila do
Nordeste on occasion such as a feast or to see a doctor so my recolection is
sketchy.

 All of my brothers were born at home in Fazenda, except for my sister who
was born in the hospital at Vila do Nordeste. I remember going to the Vila
for some vaccinations and also once to see a movie at the theatre on Pele
the soccer player.  My father is from Ponta Delgada but moved to Fazenda
with my mom after they married.  He played for Micalense in Ponta Delgada
and later on played for Fazenda and they would go to Vila to play the team
there.  My mom said that like so many families there, the Melos were not
always known as Melo, because of the various "apelidos" used.

 My mom is Maria da Conceicao Arruda and my father is Nicolau Ventura Sousa
Silva.  A lot of people from that era know my father because of his great
reputation as a soccer player.  Everyody knew him and he is still regarded
by many in the Azores as one of the greatest if not the greatest soccer
player from the Azores Islands.  He played for the pro team Belenenses in
Lisbon when he was in the Portuguse Navy in the early 1950's. My aunt is 86
and she may have some recollection of the Melos from Vila and I will pass
along any information she may have.

Herb