You can access the following RI databases online for free:

# Rhode Island Births and Christenings, 1878-1914
# Rhode Island Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950
# Rhode Island Marriages, 1724-1916
# Rhode Island State Census, 1915
# Rhode Island State Census, 1925
# Rhode Island, State Census, 1885
# Rhode Island, State Census, 1905

They have the following Massachusetts databases, all free:

# Massachusetts Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
# Massachusetts Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
# Massachusetts Deaths, 1841-1915
# Massachusetts Marriages, 1695-1910
# Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915
# Massachusetts Naturalization Index, 1906-1966
# Massachusetts State Census, 18551
# Massachusetts State Census, 1865

Got to www.Familysearch.org.
Scroll down to bottom half of page, and select USA, Canada and Mexico.
Then scroll down to Rhode Island (or Massachusetts). Note that many of these
databases are updated periodically, so check back if you can't find someone.
Some of the Mass ones were updated as recently as Dec 28, 2010.

Familysearch has an abundance of records, some with links to the original
document. All free.

Eileen Leite