Linda L,

The people who are more versed on history can answer.

When I looked at the passaportes (emigration out of the Azores), there were
a lot from the 1880s-1900 going to Hawaii.  I saw a lot to America, and some
to Canada and Brazil.  When World War 2 hit, there were much, much less
people leaving.

If I had to guess, by 1920, the economy was better after WWI and people
started emigrating again.  But the historians in this group will chime in
and let you know.  I like history, but was not a history major or read
extensively on it.   Those who have read a lot or were history majors will
post, I'm sure.

Achada