Hey Katherine,

My VoVo made malassadas every year when my Dad and uncles were slaughtering hogs, but she also made it every Sunday morning. She was from Sao Miguel.

Donna

Quoting Katharine <katharine.f.ba...@gmail.com>:

Obrigada, Gayle!

It sounds rather like the Portuguese recipe above.  Does your cookbook
mention anything about "oleo" (frying in oil)?  To me they sound sort
of like the pre-Lenten treats called "filhós" or "malassadas,"
dependking on the part of the Azores one's in.  The strange thing is
that the novel I'm translating mentions them being made for feeding
folks doing a "matança" (ritual hog-killing) in Nordeste, São Miguel,
during Advent (pre-Xmas), not Lent.  Somehow I had the impression that
traditionally filhós or malassadas weren't made other times of year.
If anyone knows, I'd appreciate learning more.

Katharine.

= = = = = = = = = =
"Rosas do Egito," by Ana Maria Albuquerque Taveira (who's had recipes
online for over a decade in various formats -- I first encountered her
on a Geocities website ca. 2000):
http://cybercook.terra.com.br/rosas-do-egito-ii-na-comunidade.html?codigo=14468

Ingredientes
- 500 g de farinha
- açúcar a gosto
- raspas de 1 limão
- leite o suficiente

Modo de Preparo
Misture bem todos os ingredientes da massa, adicionando
o leite até o ponto da massa. Numa panela, aqueça o
óleo até ferver. Depois, coloque a forma de rosa dentro
para aquecer bem. Em seguida, mergulhe a forma na massa
e retorne ao óleo, deixando fritar até a massa soltar
da forma. Coloque numa travessa e polvilhe com canela e
açúcar.

--
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to azores+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."