Aloha Everyone,

I’m from Hawaii, and we were raised making malasadas on the Tuesday before
Ash Wednesday, also known as “Fat Tuesday”.

Gail

From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Debra Wolgemuth
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:57 PM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Dessert called "Rosas do Egipto" ["Rosas
do Egito"] or Egyptian Roses?

Katherine,

My relatives from Flores always had a FILHOS FEAST on Ash Wednesday.  We'd
meet at the family ranch, have filhos hot out of the frying pan...drizzled
with butter, then ate with either jam or a dusting of sugar and a slice of
cheddar cheese.  It's a tradition that I've continued making for my family,
but they don't get excited about them like I do.  Actually they call them
lead hockey pucks...more for me...LOL!  I make a huge batch and freeze the
majority of what we don't eat.  When I want a filhos for breakfast, I take
one out of the freezer, microwave it a bit (experiment with your microwave
and start at 20 second intervals so you don't over cook it), then add butter
and your favorite topping.  They taste greasy and hot, just like Ava and
Granny Marie made them on Ash Wednesday!

Last year I broke my wrist and was unable to make (knead the dough) for my
annual filhos feast.  Someone recommended the Portuguese Bakery, 2082 El
Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA  408-984-2234.  I ordered several dozen and
they arrived the next week.  They went into the freezer and we enjoyed them
for several weeks.  Their website says that they make daily filhos, but
people recommend arriving at 9 am to get fresh ones...they tend to sell out
quickly.  They also sell 9 flavors of biscoitos, sweet bread, lemony rice
pudding, and on the last Saturday of the month serve sopas (pot roast &
cabbage over bread with mint).  If you live in the Bay Area, check them out!

Debbie Wolgemuth
Researching Azoreans: Jorge (Flores), Freitas (Flores), Enos (San Miguel),
Silveira Matos (Faial), Rodrigues (unknown)
Immigrated to: Merced, CA

> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 19:44:23 -0700
> Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Dessert called "Rosas do Egipto" ["Rosas
do Egito"] or Egyptian Roses?
> From: katharine.f.ba...@gmail.com
> To: azores@googlegroups.com
>
> Obrigada, Gayle!
>
> It sounds rather like the Portuguese recipe above. Does your cookbook
> mention anything about "oleo" (frying in oil)? To me they sound sort
> of like the pre-Lenten treats called "filhós" or "malassadas,"
> dependking on the part of the Azores one's in. The strange thing is
> that the novel I'm translating mentions them being made for feeding
> folks doing a "matança" (ritual hog-killing) in Nordeste, São Miguel,
> during Advent (pre-Xmas), not Lent. Somehow I had the impression that
> traditionally filhós or malassadas weren't made other times of year.
> If anyone knows, I'd appreciate learning more.
>
> Katharine.

> "Rosas do Egito," by Ana Maria Albuquerque Taveira (who's had recipes
> online for over a decade in various formats -- I first encountered her
> on a Geocities website ca. 2000):

http://cybercook.terra.com.br/rosas-do-egito-ii-na-comunidade.html?codigo=14
468

http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right