My husband has an ancestor called Manoel seis dados  = Manuel six fingers.
So now I know why one of my children was born with an extra thumb.
Shirley in CA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dano" <dpai...@gmail.com>
To: "Azores Genealogy" <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:49 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: First, middle names for Azorean people

As a person with 14 ancestors named Manoel de Paiva I would also like
an answer to that question, Denis. Seriously, Azoreans did try to deal
with that question. One way was to use Maria, Manoel (or, whatever) as
a middle name, as you mentioned. Another way was, believe it or not,
to use a different surname, or, add another surname. Unfortunately,
whatever they chose to do still ended up confusing people...However,
I believe that the old timers didn't  spend much time worrying about
other peoples' confusion, they simply gave their children the names
they preferred - after all, rather than worry about whether a child's
name would confuse people, a considerably more important concern was
to make sure they survived...