From: John Vasconcelos gfsjo...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:47:57 -0700
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] First, middle names for Azorean people

I can cite another example of an added "alcubha" which occurs in my family
tree, that of using the father's first name. as an added alcunha. I have an
ancestor, Antonio de Freitas Eduardo. His father was Eduardo de Freitas. In
Fajazinha Flores, this alcunha of Eduardo has evolved into a surname. Some
members of this family who have immigrated to the US now use Edwards as
their surname.
ohn Vasconcelos

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:57 AM, John Raposo <marra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In the parish registers in the 18th century it was not uncommon to add the
> person's profession to the last name (without commas) in order to
> distinguish António Carvalho Alfaiate from António Cavalho Pedreiro and
> António Carvalho Serralheiro, all living in the same village in the same
> time period and maybe married to women all named Maria de Jesus. Alfaiate,
> Pedreiro and Serralheiro are not their family names although sometimes
these
> names became the alcunhas for their children and their decendants.
Sometims
> people think they have hit a brick wall in tracing back because they look
> for a marriage of António Carvalho Pedreiro and Maria de Jesus, (which
they
> cannot find) when they should be looking for the marriage of Antonio
> Carvalho, a stone mason, and Maria de Jesus, a houswife.
>
> John Miranda Raposo

Manuel
> lived and he was called, "Manuel from the end of the road."  I don't know
> the Portuguese word for end of the road; however, I think you can see one
> way of identifying one Manuel.
>    As for the Maria thing for the girls, I feel that 90 percent of girls
> were named Maria and once they were old enough to move about the village,
> they used their first and middle name or sometimes just their middle name
> that might be less common.
>
> Celeste, Hayward, CA
> Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com

Joaquina,