An appeal for help:

Joam (Joao) Pereira Pires,born about 1845 Beira, Velas, Sao Jorge. Was
in California ("Rough and Ready" in Nevada County) by 1872 (He is
found among the first 1,700 men of Portuguese descent who registered
to vote.) Supposedly went "around horn" to Hawaii, then by "banana
boat" to SF sometime in 1860s. Unable so far to find any
documentation, passport etc. Thanks.