To: "Azores Genealogy" <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 7:42 AM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Travel to California

Debbie, this is good info on the train system, thanks. We should keep
in mind also that the First Transcontinental Railroad was not
completed until 1869. Not sure what that meant for rail travel before
then. Maybe you could get a train part of the way? And then what? I
still wonder how my gg-grandfather Caetano Freitas got to the San Luis
Obispo area from Pico. We know he came on a whaler, but where did he
land? Could have been Boston or New Bedford, could have gone around
the horn, could have gone to Hawaii first. The 1900 Census says he was
naturalized in 1865, but who knows how long it took him to get to the
US, or how long he was here before he was officially processed? Were
people also naturalized on the West Coast, and if so where? I assume
that was something that happened immediately upon arrival.

Steve Peters
Researching Freitas (Pico) and Avellar (Flores or Pico?) in Avila
Beach/San Luis Obispo area

--
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to azores+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."