I contacted one of the organizers, who sent me the following
information re the conference.  Note that João Ventura's workshops
will be on Saturday, March 24 -- although some of the other days'
events might also be of interest to some of you.  I'm sure more info
will be forthcoming re lodgings, as well as any fees (I'm guessing for
the dinners).  As I live Back East, I'm not sure yet whether I'll be
able to attend, but I hope there will in any event be a great turnout
from among our group.

Note that "The program of the conference is being developed in
partnership with various community organizations. Any group that
wishes to collaborate and participate in the event is welcome."  And
that one should contact "Bela Ferreira-Gonçalves, Administrative
Director, LAEF (educat...@luso-american.org or by phone
925-828-3883.)"  Perhaps some who are certain they'll be attending
could avail themselves of this opportunity to piggy-back onto João's
presentation.

Katharine.

= = = = = = = = = = =
         XXXVI ANNUAL LAEF EDUCATION CONFERENCE
                        SAN JOSE, MARCH 22-25, 2012

The XXXVI Annual LAEF Education Conference will take place in 2012 in
San Jose, on March 22-25. The theme of the conference is Community
Building Through Education and Technology. The events, which will be
open to the whole community, will occur at San Jose State University,
Portuguese Athletic Club and the Portuguese Museum in Kelley Park.

The program of the conference is being developed in partnership with
various community organizations. Any group that wishes to collaborate
and participate in the event is welcome.

The opening session of the conference will be Thursday evening, March
22, at the Portuguese Museum in Kelley Park, with cultural exhibits,
including a presentation of an Azorean nativity scene which will be
coming from the islands. There will be music and a reception with
beverages and light foods served to all present.

On Friday, March 23, a special youth program will take place during
the day at San Jose State University.  All high school students,
Portuguese programs and Portuguese clubs are invited to participate in
that day's events (and all others) which will include college
information, campus visit, graduate student panel, lunch and much
more.

In the evening, there will be a cultural session at the Martin Luther
King Jr. Library in San Jose State University. The program includes
the presentation of several books. Sweets and non-alcoholic drinks
will be served to all present.

On Saturday, March 24, several sessions related to the theme of the
conference will take place at San Jose State, for which presenters of
great quality and prestige have been invited. Lunch will be served at
the university. Dinner will be at the Portuguese Athletic Club. During
the meals, keynotes will be delivered by high officials invited to the
event.

The conference will end on Sunday, March 25, at the PAC, with a
special session on Migrant Women (more specifically, immigrant women,)
which will have presentations in the morning and afternoon and lunch.

The XXXVI LAEF Annual Education Conference organizing committee
invites the whole community to participate in this event which is for
everyone. It is not a conference created expressly for teachers. It is
a community gathering in which the education of our youth and their
future, along with several cultural aspects, will be tackled in a
multifaceted approach. Please mark the dates on your calendars and
don't miss this opportunity to be present at this important happening.
More details will be made public soon. For more information, please