During the years I extracted the information from books (14 of them) for the
first Catholic cemetery in Hayward, I ran into a lot of things that did not
"make sense" to me.  One was that in some cases families were able to purchase
a plot with one to several graves.  I have seen copies of the "deed" to the
plots and the graves are listed.  That was in one set of books.

Another set of books was the "plot" books.  I think there were 4 of these
books.  The plots were listed in the order they were "sold" and the people
buried in the plots were listed as to the grave number or "in the SW corner,"
etc. of the plot.  The cemetery was begun in 1875 (I believe) and still
continues to have burials; however, not very many of them.

The reason I am trying to explaine the possible burial sites of those enterred
in this cemetery is very different due to several factors.  Each priest that
was at All Saint may have different ideas as to who could and who could not be
buried in a purchased plot.  While I was working for 4 years on this
extraction, I met many people who were looking for their families and they
shared their "oral history" with me about the burial of their families.

In several cases, the names of those buried in a plot did not match the person
who had purchased the plot.  I was told that it was a neighbor who died and
could not afford to purchase a grave.  There were also graves purchased by
Portuguese Fraternal Societies to bury their members that did not have the
means to purchase a grave.  There were a large number of infants buried in 1918
(I suspect it was the flu epidemic) and in the cases where addresses were given
for the deceased, whole neighborhoods lost many children and elderly people.
Again, several were buried in places where the names of the "owner" of the plot
was different from those being buried.

I am sharing some possible reasons that the plot you think will contain your
ancestor may or may not have others with different names buried with them.  The
oral histories shared with me told of many reasons; some were godchildren; some
were neighbors; some said the priest asked the family to bury the person and my
personal account of an uncle who died at the age of 3 months and was buried
with the lady who was being buried that day.

This oral history was from my grandmother (the baby's mother) and she told me
several times that because she did not have the $5.00 in 1917, he was buried
with this person she did not even know!  She never forgot that her son was with
a "stranger" and that it was the priest's fault.  An interesting point for this
burial is that they were buried in what was called the "poor ground" for those
who could not affort to pay for a grave.  In my grandmother's opinion, her son
did not get the chance to have his own grave.

When I run into something like a person being buried with people I don't
recognize, I try to look at it in other ways and not only that the person is a
relative.

Celeste, Hayward, CA
Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com