Isn't that funny. That is the same story told about our grandfather only it was
San Francisco and his name was Manuel de Mattos! JoElayne Ferre' Johnson

________________________________
 From: anitawanita <anita.mann...@hotmail.com>
To: Azores Genealogy <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:33 AM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Francis Joseph

Cheers Tony...

Ahh yes shopping, best not to get in the way of a good bargain! :)

Trouble with researching the Azores, all the names are so similar &
get copied through many generations... Our GG Grandfather also has a
brother named Antonio.

I'm planning a visit to Flores early next year - hopefully by then you
will have learned some more info & I would be happy to do a little
'digging' for you when I'm there.

I heard a story that our GG grandfather decided to jump ship (hide out
on the dock) in Wellington due to mistreatment/not being paid. He was
eventually found and ordered back on to the ship, and his employers
ordered to pay him etc. As they were leaving the harbour, Jose
literally jumped ship at Barretts reef & swam to safety. The rest as
they say is history!

Cheers,
Anita

http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right