Hello everyone,

I am new and found this group after some dead ends on Ancestry.com. My
husband's father was Salvador Simoes, who we believe was born in Fall River, MA
about 1926. He died in 1996 after a 30-year estrangement from his sons, and he
lived only an hour from us at the time ... very sad story. His grandmother was
Maria Bento Simoes, and his grandfather was Manuel Simoes. I am finding some
records, but nothing matches up exactly. We believe that both may have been
from Sao Miguel, and that they lived in the Fall River / New Bedford / Cranston
RI areas. Both died in Cranston. A Manuel Simoes immigrated in 1913, listing a
wife 'Maria'; and a Maria Simoes immigrated in 1916 and there was an older man
named Bento on the same ship as Maria, all from Sao Miguel.

Salvador served in WWII, but outside of his later years in New Hampshire, we
cannot find any record of him, linking him to the various Manual/Maria Simoes
combinations. His sisters were Irene Hurley (Cranston, RI) and Stella Lamarre,
and there may be brothers we are not aware of.

First, I want to ask if there is a place we can visit in the New Bedford or RI
areas to get some help with Portuguese records?

Secondly, any thoughts about why Salvador does not seem to exist in records
from 1926 until much, much later in his life?

Thank you!
Pam