Pam M,

Your 2 questions:
<<First, I want to ask if there is a place we can visit in the New Bedford
or RI areas to get some help with Portuguese records?>>

You're not ready to utilize the Portuguese records yet.  You'll need to
confirm that the island is indeed Sao Miguel and then find the freguesia
(fregh-Z-ah) which is the village.  Most of Europe is that way (find the
village).

I have a how to guide posted here on the Azores Genweb: goo.gl/9CO4r
You might want to bookmark the Azores Genweb site: goo.gl/HuNWh

Tracing your ancestor(s) in America and collecting all the clues and
analyzing them will help you find the freguesia over there.  One man on
this list started about 10 weeks ago and he just found one freguesia on one
ancestor!

Your 2nd question:
<<Secondly, any thoughts about why Salvador does not seem to exist in
records from 1926 until much, much later in his life?>>

You don't say what records you have searched.  Judy P. gave you something
that she found.

However, if a person was born about 1926, they would not be an adult until
about 1944.  It's tough to find records on people between the 1940s to the
present due to privacy and stuff like that.  You will be able to find them
on the 1940 census (just released) when it's fully indexed.  Since he
served in WWII, you'll find records on that.  The rest will be you
sleuthing via the how to link I posted above.

Good luck.  Post what you find from the various sources here and we'll help
you make sense of it.

Achada