Hello Mike:

Thank you for your offer of help.  My brick wall is  the  council, and or
freguesia (location) of my G Grandfather Manuel J. Lewis  place of birth in the
Azores.

I have visited Provencetown Ma., his place of residency as a young family man,
on many occasions and found the Town officials very helpful and willing to
share the data they have.

On several separate occasions over five years I visited and mailed the St.
Peter The Apostle RC Church in Provencetown and provided donations to the
church requesting any information they could share on this family without  any
response.  The last E-Mail I sent finely resulted in  a brief telephone
response from the Priest who indicated the only records they had were the
Baptism records of the five children and he provided me with the baptismal date
of my grandfather and indicated that was all he had.  I was hoping for data on
the parents but none was provided.

The first possible record I have found for  Manuel is in the 1860 July 27th;
Census PAGE 110; Edgartown, Dukes Co. Mass. location, on the whaling Ship
"Ocmulgee" age 28; (b:~ 1832) male; occupation, mariner; born, Pico (Island of
Azores, Portugal) listed with Manuel: 24 other mariners (shipmates).  These
dates and places are not consistence with other sources of information so I
continue my research for  supporting documentation.

I show below some data I have on the family.  Any data, guidance or suggestions
you may have would be most welcome.   I too am a member of the NEHGS so I have
access to their web site.   However, in addition to having  access you also
need the knowledge of how to use that access, therefor feel free to  just
provide references to their files could perhaps open some opportunities for my
further research.

Again I am looking for ways I might look for  the place of birth of Manuel
Lewis.

Thank you for your offer  of help and for considering this inquiry!
 Ralph E. Sellars, Jr.
Manuel* J. (Luis) Lewis

..1 LEWIS, Manuel* J. (Luis) Born: Jun 15, 1834 in Flores, Azores Source:
Naturalization Record Family Search Died: Jan 14, 1909 in Winthrop, Ma. Source:
Grave Stone Picture Filed Lewis
. +JOSEPH, Frances* (Step Father) Born: May 09, 1842 in Flores Isle. Azores,
Portugal Source1: Notes of R. E, Sellars, Sr., Source2: Census Married: Sep 14,
1868 in Boston, Mass Source: familysearch.org/eng/search/ Died: Oct 02, 1917 in
Melrose, Ma Source1: Lillian LEWIS Dickinson 7/7/92, Source2: Ralph Sellars Sr.
Grave Stone Sketch
.. 2 LEWIS, Mary Catherine J. Born: Aug 1869 in Provincetown, Ma.
.. 2 LEWIS, Anthony Joseph Born: Oct 17, 1870 in Provincetown, Ma.
.. 2 LEWIS, THOMAS* JOSEPH Born: Nov 21, 1872 in Provincetown, Barnstable, MA
Source1: Birth certificate, Source2: Mass State Archives on Web Died: Nov 25,
1934 in See Notes Source: Papers of RES Sr. (MY GRANDFATHER )
.. 2 LEWIS, Elizabeth Groves Born: Sep 07, 1875 in Provencetown, Ma.
.. 2 LEWIS, George Atwood Bates Born: Aug 22, 1878 in Provincetown, Ma

E-Mail resj...@yahoo.com