Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Unusual Record
From: <p...@dholmes.com>
Date: Fri, January 11, 2013 2:35 pm
To: azores@googlegroups.com

I have seen "unknown mother" many times, in fact.
But it is still unusual enough to remember it well.

It seems to happen mostly with wealthy and important fathers. I know cases where Dr. so and so is the father.
In Faial and Terceira are some families like Teles that it happened several times. Same for some Pamplona families of Terceira.

I have a case where my own ancestor did this. But it was more strange than usual because the mother was certainly well known.
If you paid attention to any of my recent posts, you know I have ancestors from Chile.
Well, my Piedade ancestor moved to Chile where he married a local girl and had 5 children from a legal marriage.
He later smuggled his three surviving daughters out of the country and took them back to Terceira.
In Conceicao, Angra, about the 1880s sometime are a series of "legitimacoes" that show these three daughters having an unknown mother (the true mother was my ancestor from Chile).
So they were estranged and after the death of my Piedade male ancestor, my ancestor from Chile moved to Terceira where she proved she was the mother of these three daughters.
She probably brought along the marriage record to prove it. She remained there with her daughters until she died in about the 1930s, with the exception of the daughter who was my great-grandmother, since she moved to California and is buried in Hayward.

The best I can figure is that my Piedade male ancestor was wealthy enough to pay off whomever in the church would take his money and make such a record to say the mother was unknown.
He left a lot of property to his heirs, so that seems the most likely answer.

I might be the only person who can claim to have an ancestor with two legal and different baptism records for the same person. :-)

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico Genealogist
916-550-1618