"very important date and place of Naturalization . Since it was San Francisco
County Court in 1876, Nov 2nd, the original may be lost in the 1906 earthquake
and fire."
In researching Frank Enos Sousa (Francisco Inacio da Sousa) who resided in
Oakland, CA, I was unable to obtain a naturalization record for him.  I was
told the only naturalizations that occurred the San Francisco, CA area before
1906 were records that the person had returned to the naturalization office
after the earchquake.  (like a delayed recording of the record)  This looked
like a dead end to me.

In addition to the records destroyed in the earthquake, the 1880 federal census
had been "destroyed" and there was no records from that census for the SF bay
area.  I heard that there were voter registration records for 1890.  The
research I did uncovered the voter registration records for Frank Enos Sousa.
Because there were several pages of his having registered to vote, I guess a
person had to re-register each time he voted.  On ONE of those original sheets
I found that Frank had written the Island of Flores in the Azores as his place
of birth.  All the other sheets said either Azores or Portugal as his birth
place.

The voter registration records prior to 1920 were in something called the
"Erickson Collection."  At the time I found them and looked in the neatly filed
binders,  in alphabetical order, they were kept at the University of California
Hayward (Now University of California East Bay) that is just a stone's throw
from where I live!

I encourage you to keep digging and asking questions.  Those of you who know me
are familiar with my asking questions until I get answers that help me with the
research I am doing.

Celeste
Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com