John,

I've already checked all the Flores records for the Jose F Nicolau and
Maria Isabel Rodrigues marriage. I've also checked New York, Massachucetts
and Rhode Island.

There are a few Ancestry.com trees with parts of this family. Is the John's
tree with them yours? It's not viewable due to technical problems, says the
error message.

They may have married on another island, like Fayal or Sao Miguel before
boarding ship. I've seen that before. The name changes take getting used
to. It's a normal thing to have six children of the same parents that have
different surnames

before 1900, it would be rare for a woman to have a surname. It would be a
religious suffix. The ship records from the 1800s show maria de Jesus, de
Conceicao. de Acsencion etc. Men often changed surnames once they arrived,

to Americanize it, or because there were already ten guys in the
neighborhood named Manuel Rodrigues, or Joseph Silva

What's very important on birth dates and places is the source. Have you
found a New york record from the time of her birth, or is it inferred from
the census records?

I've seen a number of cases of children shown as born in the US that have a
baptism record in the parents hometown. Back then who could check? It got
them citizenship.

Eric Edgar