*Just adding to what Cheri pointed out, there always seems to be an
exception to the "general' rule. When the saint's first name starts with a
vowel, (ie Antonio, Amaro, etc., the  proper term is "Santo" I was about to
proclaim the general rule: "Sao" when the saint's first name starts with a
consonant, Santo when the saint's first name starts with a vowel then I
looked at our Band Schedule which reminded me that we recently played at
the Santo Cristo festa in Chino. I give up! I defer to the language experts
on the  list. Joao?, George?, Doug?, Katharine?
*
*John Vasconcelos*