OK, The best place to get ALL of the info on Naturalization Records is the book
by Christina K. Schaefer called Guide to naturalization Records of the United
States.  A very BASIC list is that before 1906 there were only minimal
requirements:

Name of applicant
Residence of applicant
name of witness
address of witness
Length of residence of applicant
statement of applicant’s character.

So if you are looking to find the “home country” you will not find it prior to
1906 on the Deposition or Naturalization document. As Cheri stated, they
usually just renounce their allegiance to the King of Portugal etc.

Also, the first papers can be filed in ANY court, Superior, Circuit, Muni and
in any town. The Final papers then can be filed in any court or town so that
the 1st papers may be filed in say NY and the final in CA! This is what makes
finding the papers before 1906 so hard.

After 1906 the Feds got involved and the Petition for Naturalization has MANY
questions and is very valuable. So when asking at the courthouse for the
Naturalization Papers of your person, as for ALL papers pertaining to the
Naturalization. The Declaration of Intention is the best for getting the most
info.

You really need to read the above mentioned book because the laws on
Naturalization and just who was Naturalized under a certain person changes. In
some years all boys under the age of 18 were Naturalized under the Father, in
other years it was under 16, in others if a son was 18 he could be Nat. under
his Father or petition himself. REMEMBER, a woman was the nationality that her
husband was! So, as my grandmother learned, she was born in the US and married
an Alien in 1916 and BECAME his Nationality!  She reapplied for Citizenship in
1937 and became a citizen once more.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie