it is an amazing journey that keeps opening up new roads and sometimes running
you right into a stone wall--great fun!

----- Original Message -----

From: p...@dholmes.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:20:16 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] death in Niteroi, Brasil

I had the great fortune to find a Family Finder DNA match with someone from
Brasil this past month.

While he is not aware of any links to the Azores, linking to me pretty much
proves he does have such a link.

While looking over my gedcom to get clues as to how we might connect, he
noticed two of my ancestors died in Brasil. Years ago, I had found the death
for one of them. My grandfather had lived in Rio de Janeiro about 100 years ago
and learned that they had died of some Yellow Fever outbreak which was relayed
to my father and allowed me to find one. But my search never found the other
one.

Then a few days ago, my new mysterious cousin in Brasil sent me a newspaper
page that I have attached and has all the details that I had been seeking, plus
more.

My father took a stab at translating it, as follows:

Died on April 20 this year in Niteroi Francisco da Rocha Homem, son of the late
Manuel da Rocha Homem and Marianna Narcisa, natives of Terceira in the kingdom
of Portugal, and residing there around 30 years.

He was the widower of Isabel Victorina, of whose marriage existed a son by the
name Frandisco da Rocha Homem, of 16 years of age, resident of the island of
Terceira, he being the only heir.

His executors were in first place Joao Curvello de Avila, and second Matheus da
Rocha, and third Joao Luiz Gravito Junior, the first of whom were equaly legal
guardian of his son and inventorian of his estate.

Marked the passing of one year to render accounting.

He was declared to posses two carts and water pipes and three animals, in the
district of Cattete, and some clothes.

His interrment was accomplished as his executors wished.

This testament was made in Niteroi on 21 of April this year, approved the same
day by the notary public Jose Alves Carneiro and opened yesterday by Dr. judge
of probate.

================================

Some of that doesn't make sense, but it'll have to do until I can see Gui.

Gui is the secretary of our local PHCS and a native of Ribeirinha, Pico. She
often helps us out in these matters.

The point is that one never knows where something very good will come from. In
this case, it was by means of the Family Finder DNA test.

Atenciosamente,

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist