Hi Susan,

It may have been Doug da Rocha Holmes who started a thread about "In Common
With."  But with the latest round of results, it doesn't hurt to mention it
again.

If I don't know the relationship, I assign "Distant Cousin" and then I can
run the filter for "In Common With."  They don't have to accept the
relationship in order for me to run the filter.  FTDNA is supposed to
change this where we won't have to assign a relationship in order to run
the filter.  We will just be able to to it.  Don't know when this is coming
though.  They told us last November at the conference and it hasn't
happened yet (they keep IT pretty busy).

For people who tested themselves and one parent (because the other is
deceased) can run the filter for "Not In Common With" to get the other side
of their tree.

Once you get 3 people confirmed from the same ancestor, you have done a
triangulation and you will start to see other matches hitting on the same
people.  The puzzle pieces start to fit together and things start to make
sense.  But it takes time.  This is what will need to happen with you and
Joao C. Ventura.

Because there's more of us Azoreans than either Madeirans or Continentals
doing our genealogy and DNA testing, we are going to have more matches than
either the Madeirans or mainland Portugal.  You've got the DNA Admins on
this list with megaphones shouting every time there's a match or sale!
It's not happening as much on the Madeira or Portugal lists.  They need
some big mouths over there!
Achada