Just my two cents worth but I too lelieve thst it must be an "alcunha".
Also there is of Salanca in the Northern Catalonia in Spain.
Hermano

Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 12:43:07 -0800
From: myportuguese...@gmail.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Ginetes.....Salanca? Is it a name or a place?

Terri, I think it is an "alcunha" like Cheri thinks. I have a guess: calanco.
Note on the first line, the last word: "Sentos". He wrote "sentos" with an S,
when it should be "centos", the correct way. So the word we are looking for
could very probably be calanco.  Calanco is an italina surname and it is a
small ravine, a ditch. Note that some "alcunha" names becomes, through the
years, a last name. Maybe this is the case. Isabellamyportuguesegen.blogspot.com
On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:30:03 PM UTC-5, Terri wrote:I was searching on
the CCA site for a death record for someone in my Ginetes line.  I thought I
had the right person but now I see another word/ name in the documents after
his name that makes me wonder. I have a marriage record for Manuel de Sousa
Carvalho x Anna da Estrella . But in the death record I found, I read  'Manuel
Carvalho Salanca' who was married to Anna de Estrella .Sometimes I am seeing '
Lomba' after some names and I assume this is a place but is there an area of
Ginetes called ' Salanca?'   or could this be a last name and maybe I have the
wrong death record.

Terri Santos
researching Agua d'Alto, Agua de Pau, Ginetes, Vila Franca Sao Pedro and Sao
Miguel,