As I understand it, it was and still is part of the Baptismal ceremony. Baptism
is the pouring of the water over the head baptizing "in the name of the
Father,,,," etc. But before you get to the point, there is the anointing with
holy oils and the priest applying a grain or two of salt on his thumb to the
mouth of the baby. And then there is the rejection of Satan, declared on the
baby's behalf by the Godparents. Although I am not a priest, I think the salt
applied to the lips initiates a symbollic expulsion of Satan from the newborn
leaving him clean and open to receiving Christ. Maybe there is a priest or
religious on the list that can provide clearer (and more accurate) information.

John Miranda Raposo