Mike,
   If being naturalized on the east coast of the US was the same as here in
California, I will tell you what I found in my search for my son-in-law's
great-grandfather's naturalization.
   I began to look in Alameda County for his naturalization since he lived in
Oakland (Alameda County) and had a plumbing business in Oakland.  After
spending a summer going through the hard copies of the records in Alameda
County, I did not find anything close to the name he used here, Frank Enos
Sousa.  I began to look for the voter registration records for 1890; however,
found that they had been destroyed at an earlier time.
   When I had a lead that the voter registration records might be available, I
needed the to know the township in which he lived, I went to the voter
registration office and asked for the township in which his home address was
listed.  I was told that changed for each election.
   As I have written before, someone in the office led me to the "Erickson
collection" and to the archive where the actual forms filled out by the voter
were kept up to 1920.  I found his registration forms and one of them stated
that he was naturalized in San Francisco and another that he was born in
Flores, Azores!
   To this day I do not understand why someone who lived in Oakland, before the
Bay Bridge was built, would have gone to San Francisco to be naturalized.  It
was a long trip around the bay and I was told you could be naturalized in ANY
court, even a traffic court!
   So, don't give up, keep looking in all the places you think may be dead
ends, sometimes our ancestors are probably laughing at us as we spin our wheels
looking for information.
Celeste
Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com