Interesting Eric E.

I few years ago I was in Hawaii and I went on a tour of a sugar plantation
there.  The tour guide did say that the first wave of laborers were Chinese
bachelors.  And China is on a continent.  Being a bunch of bachelors who
weren't used to an island environment created a bit of a dilemma. I don't
remember the tour guide's exact words anymore, but being bachelors they
partied too much after hours, rabble roused, went stir-crazy due to being
on islands, etc.  So the plantation owners thought that bringing over
entire families who were used to living on islands would be much more
calming.  So they initially recruited from the Azores and Madeira, which
was successful, then from the Philippines.

Eric's information came from an Azores government publication and mine came
from a sugar plantation tour guide.  Those new to genealogy can see how
stories can change and now you know why some of us tell you to take your
family stories with a grain of salt.  The basic truth is there.  You've got
to cut through some of the embellishments to find the truth. And evaluate
the source.  Which source is more reliable?  This is what genealogists do.

Achada