Hi Nancy - Well, it looks like we are indeed cousins! I am attaching my
Rosario Lagoa Pimentel line, which is clearly the same as yours. I have
always suspected that the "Bodé" of Frias Bodé was a short-lived nickname
assigned to (or taken on by) some members of the family for a generation or
two.

Here are my research notes on Bodé: The application of the name "Bodé" to
Antonio and his father José change in the records without any clear
pattern. That name does not show up in José's christening or marriage
record, or in the christening records of his children. However, in the
christening records of Antonio's children, Antonio and his father are
listed as follows:

*Christening - Father's Name - Grandfather's Name*
1847 (Maria) - *need to recheck (it has been years)*
1849 (Margarida) - *need to recheck*
1851 (Jacintha) - *need to recheck*
1854 (Roza) - Antonio de Frias - (paterno not listed)
1857 (Manoel) - Antonio de Frias - (paterno not listed)
1862 (Jose) - Antonio de Costa Bodé - José de Frias
1865 (Francisco) - Antonio de Frias Bodé - Jose de Frias Bodé
1867 (Roza) - Antonio de Ferias - Jose de Ferias
1870 (Joao) - Antonio da Costa Frias - José de Frias Bodé
1873 (Luiz) - Antonio de Frias Bodé - Jose de Frias Bodé

The appellation "Bodé" seems to have been applied occasionally and
inconsistently to Antonio and to his father Jose, suggesting that its use
was more colloquial than formal.

Bodé has several meanings: billy-goat, half-breed, mulatto, ugly man, or
Protestant. At this point, it's impossible to guess which of these meanings
was being applied to Antonio and José Costa Frias Bodé. The significance
and application of this nickname seems to have faded away with the passing
of these two generations.

The last few notes are for my 3rd great grandfather, Antonio Costa Frias
Bodé, fyi. I interviewed a family member 40 years ago who still remembered
him: His occupation: arrieiro (muleteer, driver of pack animals) He drove
his donkey cart into the city full of fruit for sale; he also was a
farmhand for others. His grandaughter, Maria de Jesus Costa, remembered her
grandfather's humble daily routine of coming home at the end of the day,
washing his feet, saying his prayers, and going to bed. He was short and
had blue eyes, a round face, and red hair.

Hope this isn't TMI!! --Primo Andy