Yes, they are written out longhand.  Every once in a while though, you'll
find a priest that will write 1809 at the beginning of those records.
mil = 1000
novocentos = 900
oitocentos = 800
noventa = 90
oitenta = 80
setenta = 70
sesenta = 60
cinquenta = 50
quarenta = 40
trinta = 30
vinte = 20

For a complete list, go to the Azores Genweb and click on the first link:
http://goo.gl/mWi4rq

I think the numbers are on the last page or 2nd to the last page.

The numbers seem to be the last thing that people get.  And it doesn't help
that oitocentos can be written as oito centos.  Or oi tocentos.  Depends on
when they went back to dip the pen in the ink.  And 50 can be spelled
or rather, misspelled so many ways.

It takes some practice and a lot of patience to get it, but you will get it.

We plan on spending lots of time helping people with the handwriting at our
conference.
Good luck,
Cheri

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM, brownat68 . <browna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you read the dates on the pages, they must be written in longhand?
> If I could read the years I could find them a lot easier.
>
> Todd
>

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Todd,
>>
>> No, not the right record.  The groom was a Andrade.
>>
>> Vila Franca has 2 churches: Sao Miguel Arcanjo and Sao Pedro.  Which
>> church?
>>
>> Since you're my cousin, go back and duplicate some of my research.  For
>> example, look for Victorino de Mello and Maria Joaquina (or whatever name
>> she married under).  See if you can find that record and post it.  Find a
>> few others.  Then jump into the unchartered territory.  You'll be surprised
>> at how much your "reading" has increased.
>>
>> Cheri Mello
>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
>> Tainhas, Achada
>>
>> --
>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
>> membership."
>> ---
>> Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit