Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] MyOrigins surprise findings from Family
Finder DNA testing
From: ttcostadc via Azores Genealogy <azores@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, May 08, 2014 11:27 am
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Doug,

I am actually not certain which side of my family the Niger-Congo Genesis comes from.  I do not know of my Portuguese ancestors (in particular) having any slaves, but I do know my English ancestors did.  My Portuguese great-grandfather was pretty dark, but he looked more middle-eastern to me.  I have been assuming the Portuguese is where I get the North African reading from.  Much of Sao Miguel is from the Algarve and Alentejo, I have read; that's pretty close to North Africa.  Ultimately, I think traditional genealogy is the best way to give definition to these relatively broad strokes, as we gather records and really see what was going on.  I can't imagine how you have documented huge lines of African ancestors.  I would imagine the records would be hard to find.  Maybe our Azorean ancestors kept more detailed records than our American ancestors.  Well, I certainly am curious of who my African ancestor (or ancestors) might have been.  The Family Finder is a near-term test, as you have mentioned.  Paper research should be able to get us there.

-Trevor Costa (Va/DC)

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---