Karen,

Portugal's national team did not play their first official game until
December 8, 1921

http://www.fpf.pt/Sele%C3%A7%C3%B5es/Futebol/Masculino/Sele%C3%A7%C3%A3o-A/Hist%C3%B3ria

At that time I doubt if any players from the Azores would have made the
national team
Could he have played for a select team in S. Miguel? that is the more
likable scenery