All I knew about my ggrandmother was that her name was Rosa Luiza and that she
was from Pico. My mom told me she was brought over at age 15 to marry my
ggrandfather, Joseph Perry/jose de Sousa Pereira, in 1866 and that she was so
tall he tried to decline but she said she'd come to marry him and marry him she
would........they had a long, happy life together and 11 children.
On the documents for their marriage her parents are only listed as Manuel and
Hannah......I figured it was Anna....
Shortly before my mom died she gave me a bunch of old family pictures and a
letter from a cousin who was the grandaughter of Rosa Luiza's sister. In the
letter she said that her grandmother was older than Rosa and that their last
name was "Gracia"....she mentioned that she remembered there being a couple of
sisters left on Pico by the names, Rosalie and Genevive.
My mom remembered hearing Rosa Luiza talk about Madelena. When the CCA baptisms
for Pico came on line I started my search in Madelena based on the idea she was
"around" 15 when she came over in 1866. I had already searched all of CITCEM
for Manuel Gracia married to Anna....none anywhere.
Meanwhile, I've had very many Family Finder matches that point to Pico but not
to my Candelaria family which I have well documented.......Candelaria is my
fathers maternal line.
The CCA Horta passports solved the mystery. I knew she came in 1866 before he
marriage the 1st of Nov. I found her in May.....it said she was 17....it said
she was from Lajes......(many of my FF matches were from Lajes). I went to
Lajes baptisms for 1849 and found her in May! Born May 17 to Manuel GARCIA
MANCEBO JR. and Anna Luiza.....went back to CITCEM and found Manuel Garcia
Mancebo JR with wife Anna and 8 children including Rosa, Rosalinda and Genoveva!
Happy, happy, happy!
Thanks again CCA for giving me the means to find my people and their history!
Now to try those FF matches again!
Nancy Jean BaptistaPico, Sao Jorge and Santa Maria