From: gfsche...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:52:36 -0700
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Jose da Silva, b. about 1833, city?, Faial,
Azores - shanghaied age 14 and brough aboad a cargo bark to Long Island, NY -
Looking for any information.
To: azores@googlegroups.com

RMac,

You can find maps of the Azores on the Azores GenWeb. http://goo.gl/k1ZDXv
(Click on Maps).

There is no place called "Sao Miguel" on Faial island. "Sao Miguel" is another
one of the Azores islands.

Never heard of anyone in the Azores having a family crest ring. Really not sure
about that at all. Most claims of "family crests" have completely fallen apart
in my research.

The Azores are an autonomous region of Portugal. They have their own archive
system and have digitized their records. You can use Tombo.pt/en to access the
records (stay in the left pane until you drill down to Faial).

You can research all 12 or 13 freguesias there on Faial and I am sure you will
find the birth of a Jose to a parent with Silva in their name. In all of the
villages. Kinda like finding a Joseph Smith in all 50 of the states.

You really need to do more research here in the U.S. to ascertain his freguesia
over there.

Achada